Edenworks designs and operates the next generation of aquaponic farms. We grow greens and seafood at our R&D facility in East Williamsburg and will be growing to a larger facility in 2020. The new facility will be in Brooklyn. Our goal is to make sustainable greens and seafood as accessible as conventionally grown product is today, all across the U.S.
We are looking for a person to help us operate our indoor controlled environment farm and recirculating aquaculture system starting in October. The Aquaculture Manager will be responsible for operating and maintaining a 10,000 gallon Hybrid Striped Bass RAS at our HQ Farm to be built in 2020. While this may be a relatively small scale in the RAS industry, this will be a pivotal period of development as we will write and execute key SOPs (feeding, grading, harvesting) to achieve our desired FCR and Costs of Goods Sold before we expand to a much larger facility in late 2021.
A successful candidate will be able to handle all fish husbandry, from nursery to harvest, as well as train and delegate farmers that do not necessarily have aquaculture experience to do so as well. The candidates looking to fill our Aquaculture Manager position are active, detail oriented, clean, able to adapt to evolving farm conditions, and find pride in providing wholesome nutritious food to the New York City community.
Edenworks actively encourages applicants with widely diverse and non-traditional backgrounds to apply.
- Manage operation of state-of-the-art Recirculating Aquaculture System.
- Direct team members in aquaculture operations and cleaning.
- Maintain high levels of food safety and animal welfare, following and developing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Good Agricultural Practices (GAP), and
- Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) protocols.
- Manage the delivery process, which includes invoicing, preparing produce for delivery, and coordinating with our delivery team.
- Analyze water chemistry to manage nutrient levels and balance water quality.
- Care for fish from early life to harvest, track their growth, and monitor changing environmental conditions.
- Monitor the farm for diseases and pests utilizing Integrated Pest Management practices.
- Manage facility level inventory and supply chains for farming and aquaculture operations.
- Conduct general maintenance, system operation, and minor repairs to keep operations running smoothly.
- Assist in horticulture operations including seeding, harvesting, washing, packaging, and post-harvest cleaning when needed.
- Lift, carry, push, or pull weights up to 50 pounds
- Comfortable with handling fish, agricultural materials, and getting dirty
- Physically fit and able, reliable, detail-oriented, organized, hard-working, self-motivated
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, can work effectively as part of a team
- Able to take direction and ownership of delegated tasks
- Stand for 8 hour shifts and engage in repetitive activities such as bending and squatting
- Maintain high standards of hygiene to promote food safety
- Maintain a reliable form of transportation to and from the farm
- Direct experience monitoring and feeding fish
- Authorized to work in USA
- High school diploma or G.E.D. Certificate
- 2+ years working at a RAS facility
- Proficiency with computer programs such as Slack, Google Suite, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Degree or training in a relevant field such as Agriculture, Aquaculture, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental or Life Sciences, etc.
- Experience using and maintaining livestock growth charts.
- Professional or academic experience around plants and/or animals.
- Ability to build Mass Balance models.
- This position is a full-time and 40 hours per week year-round.
- Monday through Friday 9am–5pm with some weekend tasks (Edenworks team members rotate for weekend coverage).